15 February 2012

Summer, bicycle and ham radio - and "It's a cool, cool summer!"*...

Spring (and summer!) is ante portas, and sensitive guys like me just can't wait to hit the road to enjoy the season and pick daisies - getting on the air from my bicycle in the process! Nothing fancy - a garden variety 7 speed bicycle, the proper pannier with several big pockets, a rather modest collection of equipment, tools, mobile and wire antennas for HF/VHF/UHF, a battery, a solar panel and my trusty old FT-817, ready to give me me a lot of fun hours - and some much needed exercise, too! Also, I get to really observe many places I thought I knew - something you can never do cruising by in a car. The photo (from last year - click to enlarge) shows yours trully enjoying his coffee while operating on HF in front of an old, abandoned stone house in the vicinity of Agalas village, Zakynthos island. My antenna is a homemade whip for 20m, which doesn't show very clearly in this poor-quality cellphone picture. It's amazing, though, what you can do with such a simple setup on HF! More to come on the subject...
* I prefer cool summers to cruel ones!